Tuesday, April 14, 2009

American Idol - Top 7 - Songs from Movies

Ok, tonight's Idol review has to be fast because it's late, and I also had to watch the performances via YouTube because I had a meeting.... so I thought I'd start this off with the Idol Reviewers that I read every week

BooMama - I love BooMama's perspective, and she provides a Mr.Linky spot for other people to post their reviews.
What's Alan Watching - This guy reviews a TON of shows, and his Idol reviews are great.
Jestertunes - Great perspective
Top Idol - Do not read this blog if you are not ok with crude, snarky writing and lots of language. It's hilarious... but I have to warn you!

So - I love the movie theme, and I knew Isaac would be so excited about have Tarantino as the judge. Way to be creative, Idol!

Allison - “Don’t Want to Miss a Thing - Aerosmith
Hmm... vocally it was ok, but it wasn't as connected or passionate as she usually is. Or rather... as she used to be, because for the past three weeks I haven't been quite as impressed even though I think she has an incredible voice.

Anoop - “Everything I Do” by Bryan Adams

Anoop once again tries to look a little less frat-boy and fails miserably. He actually pulls off an old cheesy song really well, I loved the little ways he changed the song and I just loved his voice overall this week. He's really pulled himself back into the competition recently. He always picks cheesy songs, though... which says to me that I'm not so sure I'd want to buy his record if he recorded one...

Adam - “Born to be Wild” by Steppenwolf
Unbelievable, he pulls it off again. Adam is flawless. The thing is that Adam is a theatrical rocker, but he's not just a rocker. I like rock but I get tired of it quickly because often it lacks depth and tenderness. Like Chris Daughtry - I like him, but I can only handle a bit at a time. Unlike Chris, Adam twists his songs. He usually ads some sort of a haunting element to them, which I happen to really really like. If you don't like it, you won't like Adam. Then there's screech - it is unbelievably amazing and always on pitch, but it's still a screech and so it's becoming a schtick, even if it is flawless. I don't mind, but I think some other people do.

What in the world... Paula... *shakes head*... "you dare to dance in the palace of greatness"... what does that even mean?

Matt - “To Really Love a Woman” by Bryan Adams
Hmm. This week Matt falls back into being mediocre and uninteresting. Too bad. Anoop showed how you could take a cheesy old song and make it interesting... Matt failed.

Danny - “Endless Love” by Diana Ross
Well sung, in my opinion. I liked it, but it wasn't amazing. I've been thinking about Gokey and who he is as a singer. I see him putting out a solid CCM cd... but chances are I wouldn't buy it. I guess I'd say that while I think Danny has a better voice, Kris is more interesting in his style, or perhaps just closer to the style I like.

Kris - “Falling Slowly”
YES... I was so excited when I heard Kris was doing this song. It's from the movie "Once", which was amazing. Kara said afterward that he picked an obscure song, but IT WON AN ACADEMY AWARD. I don't call that obscure. And that reminds me, I need to buy that soundtrack... In any case, it was almost impossible for me to not be happy with this performance, but I do think it was fantastic.

*Edit - people that have seen the movie invariably loved this performance, those that have never heard the song before were not fans. I looked for a youtube clip from the movie where the two main characters compose the song, but no luck there. Instead, I'll show them performing the song on Letterman. Watch... it's so beautiful.



Lil - “The Rose” by Bette Midler
Unfortunately, Lil's fan base seems to be so small that no one bothered putting up a video over her performance during the voting period... so... that's not a good sign for her. What did you all think of it?

My Favorites:
Kris
Adam
Anoop

Time to Go:
Lil. Everyone knows it.

4 comments:

  1. Lil or Anoop can go and I'd be happy. Everyone knows it'll be Adam, Danny, and Allison in the final 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking Adam, Danny and Kris in the final three. Adam's performance was good last night, but not as good as usual. It's almost like he's a little too sure of himself. Kris was my favorite of the night, he did pretty awesome.

    I think it will be either Matt or Lil going home tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's funny... immediate disagreement! I agree with Kaycee, but I think Danny, Kris, Alison, and even Matt and Anoop are all competing closely at this point. One great performance matched with one bad one could mean a surprise elimination of one of the former favorites....

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your review!!! I agree with you....Lil should have gone home. Glad they saved Matt, I think he deserves another week or so. Kris I love, he started out kinda shaky but have raised the bar for himself! I love Danny....I just love him! And Adam prob will win, but I hate to think what kind of album he will put out..... :) I do an Idol review too every week, come on by!! :)

    ReplyDelete