Tuesday, July 14, 2009

What I love about country music

I love country music. It's one of the few things that most people disagree with me about but I still proudly, defiantly cling to.

I just love it. I never listened to it or liked it until mid-college, when my brother's then-girlfriend got him started. I tell you, it spreads like a disease, and by now it's to the point that I will spend days with my radio dial not just on country, but on bluegrass, which is the epitome of twang.

Country music makes me feel happy. I love that it almost always tells a story. I get so disgusted on the pop-rock station when I hear artists moaning on unintelligibly or with lyrics that make no sense to anyone but the artist themselves. Country music dwells on the every-day. Relationships. Marriage. Kids. Beer. Trucks. God.

I have a love-hate relationship with Country's depiction of life in the USA. It most often depicts the romantic small-town America that I do love - I see it as my cultural heritage, even though I never experienced it. For instance:



See that? It's like the Little House on the Prairie grew up and became good ol' small-town country USA. I appreciate those things about the US. I love the emphasis on family, home, love, hard work, and faith. It's its own unique culture, and I find it delightful. I mean, the beauty portrayed in Kenny Chesney's song "There Goes My Life" is so awesome.


My favorite country singers - Brad Paisley, Rascall Flatts, and Kenny Chesney... all tend to sing either sweet love songs, nostalgic memories, or hilarious stories that never fail to make me laugh (see Paisley's Mr. Policeman). I mean, who can beat lyrics like "God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy" (Billy Currington)? It's just... FUN...




On the other hand, then there are songs that show the xenophobia, super-Conservative politics, or just ridiculous parts of small-town America that either make me mad or just make me shake my head in exasperation. For instance, John Rich's "Shuttin' Detroit Down", which just makes all corporations or business owners look like lazy, greedy rich people that take advantage of the little guys.



Now I see all these big shots whining on my evening news,
About how their losing billions and its up to me and you
To come running to the rescue.
Well pardon me if I dont shed a tear.
There selling make believe and we dont buy that here.
Because in the real world their shuttin Detroit down,
While the boss man takes his bonus paid jets on out of town.
DCs bailing out them bankers as the farmers auction ground.
Yeah while there living up on Wall Street in that New York City town,
Here in the real world their shuttin Detroit down.
Here in the real world their shuttin Detroit down.


Anyways... regardless, Country music still remains my go-to music for feel good fun or heart-breakingly beautiful music.

No comments:

Post a Comment